What Is Bulimia Nervosa?
Bulimia nervosa, is an eating disorder, which is often times confused with Anorexia Nervosa. Although the two "Nervos's", are similar Bulimia involves binge eating before intentionally starving the body by excessive exercise, laxatives, and more commonly vomiting.
Due to the fact that Bing eating, and excessive exercise for example can be on a broad spectrum, there is a set of criteria that has been set out as a guideline for a patient to be diagnosed with bulimia. The criteria is listed below:
- The patient is of normal weight or overweight.
- The patient does not meet the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa.
- The patient feels incapable of controlling the urge to binge, even during the binge itself, and consumes a larger amount of food than a person would normally consume at one sitting.
- The patient purges him or herself of the recent intake, resorting to vomiting, laxatives, diuretics, exercising, etc.
- The patient engages in such behavior at least twice per week for three months.
- The patient is focused upon body image and the desperate desire to appear thin.
Although the end result in Bulimia involves food habits, the initial cause is due to a psychological issues and lack of self control. "Binge" and "purge" sessions are often times severe, and in often cases are only stopped when the individual is interrupted by another person. The frequency of Bulimia varies by the individual, and can range from daily to weekly,etc. If you or someone you love is affected with Bulimia it is recommended that you take immediate steps to start getting control back, and eliminating the disorder.
Zurück zu Health And Fitness Posts